Thursday, 04 October 2018 15:54

Man Convicted in Contract Killing

Oct. 4, 2018 – A 21-year-old man was convicted Thursday of first-degree murder in the 2015 contract killing of a South Memphis man, said Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich.
Defendant Raymon Muhammad was automatically sentenced to life in prison by Criminal Court Judge Bobby Carter. The jury deliberated just 20 minutes before returning its verdict.
Investigators said Muhammad shot John E. Jones, 53, from a passing car with an AK-47 on Dec. 23, 2015, as Jones was on the front porch of a residence in the 1500 block of McMillan St.
Although Jones was believed to be a high-ranking member of the Memphis Mob street gang, investigators determined that he was killed because of an altercation with another man over a woman a week earlier at a nightclub.
Investigators said Muhammad was given $1,000 and a cell phone for the killing.
The man believed to have hired him, Derrick Matthews, 37, pled guilty earlier this year to conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.
The case was handled by Asst. Dist. Attys. Carla Taylor and Austin Scofield of the DA’s Crime Strategies Prosecution Unit which incorporates and expands the work of the Multi-Agency Gang Unit, the Organized Crime Unit, Project Safe Neighborhood/Gundone, GunStat, the Safe Streets Task Force and the Violent Crime Unit.