Friday, 11 October 2019 09:49

Inmate Gets Additional Time for Molesting Boy

Oct.11, 2019 – A man serving 31 years in prison for attempted first-degree murder was sentenced Thursday to an additional 12 years for his conviction last month of sexually assaulting a 7-year-old boy in 2014, said Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich.
A Criminal Court jury convicted Mario Myers, 44, of aggravated sexual battery in the incident that occurred five years ago at a residence in the 1100 block of Breedlove in North Memphis. He was sentenced by Judge W. Mark Ward.
Jurors in that case were not told that Myers is serving a 31-year sentence for the 2012 aggravated assault of his estranged wife and the attempted murder of her boyfriend.
Myers was arrested as a fugitive in October of 2015 in Alabama and was returned to Memphis. The 7-year-old boy’s mother knew Myers only by his first name, but then recognized him when she saw him on television for the shooting.
A year later he was tried and convicted in the attempted murder case which has since been upheld on appeal.
The sexual assault case was handled by Asst. Dist. Attys. Cavett Ostner and Lessie Rainey, both of the DA’s Special Victims Unit which Special Victims Unit (SVU) which prosecutes cases of child sexual abuse and severe physical abuse of child victims; rape and aggravated rape of adult victims, and abuse of elderly and vulnerable adults.
SVU reviews child-victim cases with Shelby County’s multi-agency Child Protection Investigative Team (CPIT).